Note: This article was last updated March 20 at 4 p.m.
The City of Katy announced today that Katy Mills, a Simon Mills property, is closing its doors temporarily to mitigate the spread of novel coronavirus – also known as COVID-19. The closure is expected to extend through March 29.
“These efforts will aid in reducing the spread of COVID-19 in the Katy community,” the city said in a Facebook post announcing the closure.
The closing comes just shortly after Harris and Fort Bend counties issued orders restricting restaurants to drive-thru, curbside and delivery service and closed clubs and bars down to prevent the spread of the disease.
Below is a listing of additional facilities or businesses that have closed. We will update this post as we gather more information.
- Fussell Senior Center – CLOSED
- Katy Visitors Center and Depot – CLOSED
- The Johnny Nelson Katy Heritage Museum – CLOSED
- Katy ISD – All campuses closed through April 13 and likely moving to online instruction in the near future.
- Fort Bend ISD – CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 10
- Lamar ISD – CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 10
- Royal ISD – CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 10
- Mamie George Community Center in Richmond – CLOSED
- Fort Bend County Tax Office Lobbies – CLOSED
- Drive-through service in Richmond will remain open from 7 a.m.-6 p.m. on Mondays and 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Drop boxes are available at all locations.
- Houston Museum District – ALL MUSEUMS ARE CLOSED
- Virtual tour options remain open.
- Fort Bend County Libraries – CLOSED BUT CURBSIDE PICKUP IS AVAILABLE
- Texas Attorney General’s Child Support Division – OFFICES ARE CLOSED BUT ONLINE AND PHONE SERVICE IS AVAILABLE
ALTERNATIVE HOURS OR SERVICE OPTIONS
- H-E-B stores – Open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, including stores that normally have 24-hour pharmacies
- Note that the restaurants inside H-E-B locations are closed and staff have been moved to grocery in order to keep up with increased demand.
- ALDI – Stores are generally open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, but may have alternative hours to facilitate sanitizing the store and restocking.
- Target – All stores nationwide are closing by 9 p.m.
- Beginning March 18, the first hour of shopping at each Target location is reserved for guests who may be more susceptible to COVID-19 such as the elderly and those with immune system disorders or diabetes
- Trader Joe’s (La Centerra location – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Broadside Gaming – Open 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Curbside service is available so clientele do not need to go into the store. Inventory available at broadsidegaming.com Call ahead with orders and staff will bring items to your car. Discounts on some items are available.
- Stage Stores including Gordmans, Bealls, Goodys, Palais Royal, Peebles and Stage have adjusted their hours to be open Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sun. from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Restaurants – Most restaurants have moved to alternative delivery. Calling ahead to verify availability of service is recommended.
- Red Wing Shoes at 21953 Katy Fwy Ste B is open regular hours and offering curbside pickup.
- All Frost Bank locations in Texas are shutting their lobbies down and moving solely to drive-through service effective March 20. Service is also available at 800-513-7678.
- MONA Fresh Italian Food is offering curbside service at their 19355 Katy Freeway, Ste. 500 location. Diners should call ahead to place their order from a special menu at 832-988-6962.
CANCELLED OR DELAYED EVENTS:
- All City of Katy events - through April 2020
- Spring Community Campout, Spring Community Garage Sale, Baskets & Bunnies, Trash-Off, Annual Fish Fry, Earth Day Speaker Series
- All City of Katy Fire Department tours and programs - until further notice
- Car Seat Safety
- Station Tours
- Katy City Council Candidate Forum – Postponed from original March 25 date
- Katy Market Day - Saturday, March 22nd – Moved to a virtual event.
- Virtual Market open March 15-29. Visit their Facebook page for more information
- Wild West Brewfest - postponed until further notice
- Jeans & Jewels Kickoff Party hosted by Northwest Assistance Ministries on March 26
- Katy EDC Priorities Task Force Meeting originally scheduled for March 19
- Many EDC internal meetings are set for virtual/teleconferencing. Please contact the EDC for more details.
- Mission and Martini Night scheduled for April 2 by FRIENDS of Child Advocates of Fort Bend
- Fort Bend County Master Gardeners Grow Your Own events through April
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston – All events involving 10 or more people are cancelled
- National Drug Takeback Day – This event originally scheduled for April 25 has been cancelled per the Drug Enforcement Agency which had at least one Fulshear event cancelled locally
- Fulshear House Concerts – all potluck dinners have been cancelled.
- Houston Grand Opera – All performances of “Salome” and “The Magic Flute” as well as associated events have been cancelled.
- Trini’s Market food pantry food fair originally scheduled for March 29 has been cancelled.
- Houston Marathon Foundation Family Fun Run at Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus scheduled for April 4 and May 2 have been cancelled.
- Waller County Master Gardeners events through at least April 16 have been cancelled.
If an event or establishment is not listed above, it may be advisable to call ahead to determine the status of the business or event.
If you are a business owner or event planner and would like your event or business added to this list, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update the list as soon as possible.