BIS Houston named International School Awards 2023 Winner of the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice’ Award
The British International School of Houston (BIS Houston) has been named winner of the 'Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice' Award from ISC Research at the 2023 International School Awards.
The winners were announced during a live online event on Jan. 24. ISC Research received 291 applications this year from international schools in 61 countries.
BIS Houston won its award for its initiative which involves a school-wide auditing of curriculum offerings to ensure the representation of all stakeholders. BIS Houston was the only school in North America to win an award and be shortlisted.
Barrie Scrymgeour, BIS principal, accepted award on behalf of the school.
“We are immensely proud to receive this award.” Scrymgeour said. “Rooting DEIJ within the curriculum at BIS Houston is integral and impactful at BIS Houston. As an international school with a diverse international community BIS Houston are proud to celebrate such good practice.”
BIS Houston was also shortlisted for Innovation and creativity in learning: This award recognizes a school initiative that is being implemented that supports students in future thinking and creative innovation.
Katy ISD releases 2024-25 instructional calendar
Katy school trustees approved the 2024-25 instructional calendar at their Jan. 23 meeting. The calendar includes the following highlights:
- Wednesday, August 14, 2024: First Day of School
- Friday, May 16, 2025: Last Day of School for Seniors
- Thursday, May 22, 2025: Last Day of School
Included in the approved calendar are district holidays such as Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday and Memorial Day.
Katy ISD will continue providing a full week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks for Christmas and New Year’s, as well as one week off for spring break.
Trustees also reviewed and approved minor amendments to the 2023-24 instructional calendar that affect staff only and include the addition of one new teacher orientation day and changes to flex days for i00 and i01 pay grades.
The development of both calendars follows weeks of community feedback from over 16,000 participants throughout the Katy ISD boundaries.
Hangar Unity Center to offer construction training
The Hangar Unity Center, 4010 4th St. in Brookshire, is offering the Hangar Trade Program, a program in which students grades 6-12 can learn how to use tools and basic construction skills.
Classes begin Feb. 6 at the Hangar Unity Center. Classes are 2:30-4 p.m., and from 4:30-6 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays.
No previous experience is necessary and tools are provided.
For more information, call Paul Kitchen at 254-220-2149.
Sam Houston State University dean’s list includes 188 students from Katy
Sam Houston State University has recognized undergraduates who have achieved a grade point average of at least 3.5 out of a perfect 4.0 in all work attempted while enrolled in not less than 12 semester hours. The university would like to recognize the following students for earning the honor for the Fall 2022 semester.
Students honored from Katy are:
- A-G: Kathryn Adams, Nathan Adesso, Brandon Aguilar, Andrea Agundis, Lesley Alfaro, Cristina Alsobrook, Jaime Amezquita, Daisy Asemota, Erin Bailey, Matthew Bailey, Rebecca Bailey, Nicole Baney, Agustin Barbosa, Cielo Barrientos, Alexander Barton, Stephanie Bashorun, Denae Beal, Alondra Bermea, Christina Biello, Blake Bishop, Dylan Blair, Cole Borowski, Alana Boudreaux, Ethan Bowles, Joshua Bragg, Heaven Branscum, Parker Britt, Tara Brod, Bailey Bronstein, Jon Bull, Nadia Campos, Benjamin Carlile, Jenna Caskey, Martina Deni Castro, Jaqueline Cerna, Brooke Chippi, Madison Choate, Keith Clarkson, Emma Clinton, Mallory Compton, Charle Cooper, Natalee Cormier, Lauren Costa, Marlen Covarrubias, Liany Cruz, Lorena Cudina, Stephanie Cuero, Jessica Cuevas, Bryan Deason, Malia Delaguila, Xotchie Delrio, Ojas Desai, Fadima Diaby, Lucas Dos Santos, Deanna Elsasser, Nicole Erazo, Lauren Farias, Haley Fehr, Neyfi Fernandez, Gunner Ferretti, Nicholas Free, Caitlin Furley, Andres Garcia, Sophia Garcia-Gil, Cassie Gates, Lala Geidarova, Jonathan Glines, Elimar Gonzalez, Logan Grassau, Jaiden Greene, Sandra Gutierrez.
- H-P: Ashley Hall, Shadina Hamilton, Dalila Hammond, Spencer Hardin, Olivia Hattier, Maria Hearn, Crystal Henderson, Jacklyn Hernandez, Samantha Heslop, Alina Hikins, John Hikins, Joice Hill, Wednesday Hunter, Lauryn Hutson, Giancarlo Iannini, Jarrett Iltis, Oghenekaro Israel, Hongjin Jeon, Melany Jimenez, Jeane’ Julien, Anjalika Kalkura, Hannah Kirby, Daniel Kittredge, Kelly Koeper, Junior Kuvila, Katelyn Larsen, Vivian Le, Vivian Lipp, Evelyn Lopez, Gabriela Lopez, Payton Loxton, Samantha Lozano, David Luley, Amy Mahoney, Matthew Manuel, Ella Marsh, Anastasia Marshall, Rianna Mata, Grace Maynard, Hayley Mccain, Melissa Mccorkel, Taylor Mccreary, Alan Mcdermott, Nicolas Mckee, Emily Meade, Jonas Middleton, Paige Miller, Lindsey Moore, Paige Moore, Tendai Mukuka, Katelyn Nitsche, Sina Norouzi Kandalan, Adam North, Daniel North, Madison Olds, Natalie Ondrush, Naila Ortega Leal, Sonya Ortiz, Carter Pacovsky, Emily Parker, Aditi Patil, Aubrey Pedersen, Chloe Penny, Ruby Perez, Dylan Phillippi, Be’Dora Phillips, Jaylen Phillips, Genaro Prieto, Natalie Pruett
- Q-Z: Amna Rehman, Audrey Robin, Aliyah Robinson, Latrice Robinson, Kendra Rodrigue, Richard Romero, Skyler Ross, Shane Roy, Alberto Rubio Reyes, Angelina Ruiz, Isabella Rust, Zarek Sain, Hailey Saldana, Garrett Sansom, Whitney Sansom, Emily Scholl, Aaron Scott, Abigail Serrano, Jonah Serrano, Lisa Sevilla, Leah Sheffield, Emma Shurter, Remani Sigers, Garrett Skinner, Richard Smith, Zachary Snow, Gillian Spangler, Alison Spavale, Kendall Stankus, Ethan Staton, Brittney Stuart, Brooklyn Taylor, Hailey Tenaro, Caitlyn Thayer, Elliot Tice, Naomi Torres, Elaina Tramill, Alexis Trejo, Isabella Trew, Taha Usmani, Nadia Vasquez, Christian Velasquez, Carolyn Willardson, Hydeia Williams, Virginia Williams, Nicole Wolff, Huda Yousif, Bryce Yule.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here